Plymouth Swallows Gymnastics Club Use of Photography
Photography by parents or carers
If a parent wishes to photograph or video their child during training they should contact the coach in charge of the session who will give them British Gymnastics guidelines and ask them to sign the photographic permission form. This includes the use of mobile phones when used as a camera and the use of video or any other recorder.
Photographic equipment including mobile phones is completely banned in the gym, changing and toilet areas. (Areas are clearly signed)
Any person given this approval must stop photographing if any other person complains or expresses concern at the activity. Concerns regarding inappropriate photography should be reported through the Club’s Complaints procedures.
Competitions held on the Club premises will conform to British Gymnastics procedures and require all photographers to be registered with the competition organisers and to wear identifying badges.
Photography by the Club
The Club will ensure that parental permission will be gained prior any publication of photographic images; the club respects the right of the parent to withhold permission. This will be in the form of either a photographic permission request on the Club membership form or by a general Club photographic permission form. During training sessions Swallow’s coaches may use photographic or video equipment to assist with training (for training purposes only).
Gymnasts over the age of 16 will be asked for their own permission instead of their parent or carer.
The Club will check that permission has been given to publish photographic images of each gymnast either in writing or implicitly (that is by not opting out).
When publishing photographs of gymnasts the Club will: -
- Use discretion when choosing the shot to reduce the risk of it being used inappropriately.
- Apply an increased level of consideration to images which appear on the website as they are more susceptible to being manipulated.
- In general avoid the using the child’s name or other personal details with the photograph as this may enable an individual to develop an inappropriate relationship with the gymnast by appearing to know them personally.
- Check with the competitive gymnasts and their parents/carers that photographs and the details being released to the press are acceptable to them.
The Club may invite external photographers such as press photographers or other professional photographers on to the premises to record the Clubs activities.
In this case the Club will ensure that: -
- Photographers are briefed as to what is expected of them in terms of photographic content and behaviour.
* Issue the photographer with identification, which should be worn at all times.
- Inform parents and gymnasts that the photographer will be present and that they should let the senior coach know if they do not consent to being photographed.
* Unsupervised access to the gymnasts or one to one photo sessions either on or off the premises are not allowed.
* Passwords allowing access to websites containing the images are only released to bona fide individuals.